80% Face-to-face, 20% Distance learning
Students choose 5 from 7 parts.
5 partial exams, with grades 0-5
or 3 partial exams and 2 lab projects, with grades 0-5, all parts passed.
30.08.2021 - 17.12.2021
12.04.2021 - 25.04.2021
6 - 20
Rakennus- ja energiatekniikan koulutusyksikkö (not translated)
Vesa Kankkunen, Merja Mäkelä
Next prerequisite courses are recommended:
Measurement and Control Technology,
or related qualifications are required.
Degree Programme in Energy Engineering
1. System Hardware
2. Human Machine Interfaces (HMI) and Plant Operation
3. Automation projects
4. Fieldbuses in Connecting Instrumentation and Motor Control
5. Digitalization Progress and Internet of Things (IoT) in Automation
6. Programming applications of a distributed control system (local learning)
7. Configuration of smart field devices
After completing this course, you will be able to (local learning)
- present the arrangement and components of a process control system used in a process plant
- describe the main operation tasks and use basic HMIs in plant operations
- analyse basic automation loops based on PI diagrams, and work out system-independent functional loop descriptions and diagrams
- explain the role of main communication protocols used in industrial networks
- describe the utilization of artificial intelligence in industrial automation
- program and commission instrumentation and motor control loops for power production
- program and commission smart field devices and fieldbuses.
Which hardware components do you need for a process control system?
How is a measurement signal transferred from a measurement transmitter to a remote control room of a power plant, or a command signal from an operator to a controlled actuator?
How are you able to design measurement, open control, feedback control, on-off valve and on-off motor loops independently for a process control system?
How are you able to connect smart instruments and motor control units using industrial fieldbus cables and protocols?
How do communication standards, cloud services and IoT affect industrial networks and the development of digitalization in industrial applications?
How do we implement measurement, open control, feedback control, on-off valve and on-off motor loops in a process control system?
How do we connect in practice smart field devices to a process control system using fieldbuses?
- 18 h lectures
- 36 h supervised project working
- 81 h self-study
- Learning Environment for Papermaking and Automation, KnowPap, AEL ja Prowledge 2015.
- Learning Environment for Chemical Pulping and Automation, KnowPulp, AEL ja Prowledge 2015.
- ValmetDNA manuals, Valmet Automation 2011 - 2012.
- DNAuse -operointiohje, Valmet Automation 2012.
- Function Block CAD -käyttöohje, Valmet Automation 2011.
- DNA Explorer -käyttöohje, Valmet Automation 2011.